Refreshing an SDLC Methodology with Enhanced Governance and Portfolio Management
“This project represents world-class deliverable quality.”
Matthew H. – Director, PMO for client
As part of an overall effort to improve IT project management and execution processes, our client, a large auto part retailer, shifted its project governance process to include a system development methodology refresh. Their IT team requested that we provide consulting services to review existing methods, tools and techniques and leverage our proprietary Rapid Process Mapping® (RPM) Methodology to create the framework for a new, standardized System Development Life Cycle (SDLC). We helped them implement this new Governance and Portfolio Management process for over 75 ongoing projects with an annual spend of over $23 million.
- Daugherty created a customized version of its RPM Lean Methodology to gather data-centric requirements.
- We developed a governance process and review program for all projects as they go through stage-gate reviews and red-team reviews. A portfolio management process was also created to help prioritize project funding and dependencies
- A Software development methodology process was put in place, along with over 50 deliverable templates, examples and supporting documents to enable the entire process
- Client asked for additional support in the development of solution and enterprise architecture design processes and templates. These templates marked a new, higher standard for all project delivery
- We piloted this process with 2 projects- including the largest project at the company which rolled out a new system to 6,000 retail locations
- Many project deemed “troubled” were saved with revised governance process
- Discovered millions of dollars in excess spending and errors before projects were completed, giving the company the opportunity to correct the overspending